Thursday, July 28, 2011

Back To School Memories

As the new school year approaches, it brings back great memories of growing up and getting ready for the new school year. Of course, my school year didn't start until the Wednesday after Labor Day, so the concept of preparing for school in late July is still foreign to me, even after 11 years of living in Atlanta!

This is my elementary school (which closed in 1978, and is now a retirement community!)-



I remember looking forward to that walk to school on the first day (yes, we WALKED to school!). Once we entered that school on the first day, it was celebration time for all the moms in the neighborhood! My mom would have all the other mothers over for a first day of school brunch!

In my high school years, I could not wait to go back, especially for my senior year. Not because it was my last year in school, but because I was getting back to seeing friends on a regular basis once again. My high school swing choir was a very close group of people. We sang throughout the hallways in between periods (especially the doo-wop songs of the late 50's and early 60's... and this was 1984!), we laughed, we held each other when there were problems. Our teacher, Mr. Ambrosino, taught us how important it was to laugh and love, and even pray! A few of us would have small group sessions after school, discussing God and how having a relationship with Him was so important. He influenced a lot of us, and we continue to stay in touch with each other to this day.

What great school memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment